Skip to main content

My Rabbitry Records Organizer

This past year I have been in the process of making, remaking, and modifying an rabbitry record keeping system that works for me. I started with wanting to organize my pedigrees and to keep track of weights because a year ago, I was meat breeder just wanting to work toward that sweet goal of five pounds at eight weeks old and a 65% dress out weight. (So much has changed since then, but that would still be ideal!)

I looked into the few programs for pedigrees and I decided on KinTraks. It created customizable pedigrees, at a least to a point that I was happy enough with it. It also had other features that I like and will use like keep track of show records and and business side of things: sales, purchases, retired stock, and such. I liked that I did not have to have an Internet connection as it is all on my computer. There is both good and bad in that, but I prefer it for that reason. I make hard copy pedigrees on all my rabbits homebred that I plan to keep or sell and place them in my binder.

Besides the pedigree, I have worked at being far more involved with the rabbitry than I had been in the past years. I move toward doing more detailed health checks on all my rabbits regularly, but certainly the kits every week as they develop. I began with devising a simple chart that I liked to help me keep records and stay accountable. I have revised it quite a few times since. Then I realized that temperament was a big factor for me, so I wanted a scale to assess that too. I also decided to work toward showing and so posing and evaluating would now be another thing! 

Unfortunately, there was no software was going to do all the things I specifically wanted the way I wanted it, so I decided to created my own sheets. I finally made my sheets and I can easily fill them in manually, but keeping track of the weights as I wanted was taking quite a bit of time to calculate with the same formula over and over. For instance, the percentage of weight gain from one weak to the next. Plus, I really wanted to compare each kit's weight in the kindle to a mean weight for the kindle. This would be more easily done on a spread sheet system on the computer so all I would have to do is fill in the weight and the spread sheets would do all the calculations for me. So here is a link to my Weekly Assessments with Formulas. It will also be listed on the menu under TTR Charts.

My dilemma now is do I take my computer out with me to input everything or just print out a sheet and write the information down to be filled in on the spreadsheets later. I decided to create the spread sheets on Google Docs so I could access them from my phone. I would keep a template and create one for each kindle with each kit having its own weekly evaluation sheet.

I have not yet decided what to do for my rabbits over 16 weeks old...I still am thinking that one out, but for now I have a simple sheet with their weight and general health that is flexible on when I check them, perhaps a bit too flexible. I would like to have at least monthly check records on each of them but I was thinking perhaps bi-weekly...? I would like to add temperament as well.

As much as I like all the tech and the convenience of it, I also like having a binder with all my records on at hand in hard copies comes in very handy. I have a section for rabbit that I have as a breeder, hopeful breeder, or plan to sell. I also have a copy of the SOP for Silver Foxes and my breeding plans, so when I am at someone else's barn or show a looking over rabbit I think , I have my rabbits' records and plans at my finger tips.