Skip to main content

Bunny Busy Weekend


Yesterday my friend Hannah Yost of Renaissance Farmstead came over for a trade breeding. However, GC Leon was rather tired out quickly and there were no fall-offs with either of her two does. She opted for Starry Knight, which was his first time, and he had the energy and stamina that is grandfather no longer has. 

I have noticed that Leon has been becoming weaker in his back legs and it may be close to the time he has outlived his ability to breed, but I plan to try him with another doe in a few days. I have considered using carpet or a rubber mat to help him have the traction he needs. I have been noticing this weakness for some time, but he was able to breed Hannah's doe about six weeks ago when he won BOB at the Southern Pride show. So, I think he still has some good days, but yesterday was a bad one.

I truly have fallen in love with that old buck. Even though I have had him only since August, he is like the patriarch grandfather of my rabbitry. I am still hoping to get a few more breedings out of him.

Hannah has a better eye for evaluating juniors than I do—or maybe I am not just as confident with it yet. However, of the LTW-4 kindle, I have had my eye on one in particular and wanted to hear her comments on him. In reality, LTW-4 is a bit young to label for culling as they are still developing, but I just wanted to see if my picks for potentials were the same as hers. My weak area for evaluating has been the shoulders, which is her stronger point, but I am getting better and I feel I am pretty good with the rest of the body, particularly the back side and top line...and after having Black Ivy with her strange twisted legs and hip, I definitely pay great attention to how the black legs function mechanically.

Hannah felt the two bucks had potential, although one is the smallest of the kindle. However, she liked the largest buck the best and that is my top pick as well. We even liked where his peak is, which has been a big challenge and I hope it stays where it is as he matures. He is a rather active, cannot-stay-still type though.

The does, which is what I really need, were considered lacking potential, but one is teetering on maybe. I shall see how she progresses in her development. I absolutely love the one doe because she is so great with handling and being content to stay put for her age, even though she fights the posing yet.

The one thing the entire LTW-4 kindle undeniably has is width!

After Hannah left, my husband and I cleaned cages before the weather came in. We had some moving around to do. LTW-4 was ready to be weaned, so we placed them all in the cage next to their mother. In another month, after the next show in mid February, they will be separated by sex or culled. Who knows, I may offer one to a breeder that needs width.

We moved Luna and her two kits out of the kindling suite. DLN-2 have had their eyes open for a few days and were ready to start exploring. I have noticed with the drop nest that kits take their time coming out on their own, but moving now was not rushing them. I have found that as long as the bunnies can see and hop in and out of the nest on their own, they are fine with the move, and by then they are large enough not to squeeze between the cage wire.

After a good cleaning out of the drop nest and replacing the cardboard and bringing in fresh straw and hay, Avery was moved into the kindling suite. I was not sure how she would do being a first timer, but she built a nest, although has not yet pulled fur. She is due in two more days, but all my does this season so far are going to 32 days instead 31.

When Avery kindles, I will be breeding another doe. I would like it to be Ciara with Leon, but there is a show in a month and she would make an additional black doe, which is lacking in numbers. I could also breed Twilight again with Leon as I do love those wide buns they produced!

Speaking of those wide buns, today was their 7-week assessment day! Always fun to handle the bunnies! But being bunnies with a lot of energy and a world to explore, they are not that fond of posing. Most of them fought the pose, but LTW1 was relentless in his struggle!