Skip to main content

My Cage Tags

I have seen cage tags from very simple to very fancy, from write on plastic to small charts on paper. Everyone has their own set up and flair in their own rabbitries that works for them. After using cage tags for some time, I finally realize what I really wanted for mine.

Every tag should have at the minimum the rabbits ear number. The name is also a must-have for us. I also added the sex, which is always good to know at a glance (although I am using color coding for that so may not be needed now), and the color of the rabbit, which is a left over from my meat breeding days (before I began showing) with many color genetic variations as now most of my rabbits are black, but I think of it as maybe being helpful to anyone who would need to take care of my buns for me should that happen.

While I can plan and chart on my computer as well as when I leaf through my rabbitry binder, it is in my rabbitry handling the rabbits or even just cleaning their cages that I think out my breeding plans the most: the who with whom priorities, rather than the when. Because of that, I decided to have the genotypes of the rabbit and its parents on my tags to know at a glance who was related to whom.

I will hand write a tag on an white index card for a newcomer at times, but I like things things nice and neat rather than hand written. In the past, I would print out the information on unruled index cards to slip in plastic tag holders with zip seals and clip those on to the cage. It worked for me, but then I decided that from time to time I wished I had additional information that I could write on the tag temporarily and I always wanted to use colored tags. Although it is easier to read black on white, I wanted my does to have purple tags and my bucks to have green, which is my theme for their tattoos and show carrier tags also. So I cut sheets of paper to 3.5 x 5, as that size fits in the tag holder,

I found that I could write on the plastic tag holders with a permanent marker and remove it without any trace, so now I am smiling because I found my idea of the perfection for what will work for me.

For juniors, it is nice to know at a glance when they will become intermediates and seniors.



For breeding, this works for me.



Other notes, like "taking to show," or  feed instructions can be written on as well.