Skip to main content

As You Would Have Them Do Unto You

I always wish to honor my Lord, Who blesses me with my rabbits, and I want Him to continue to bless me with rabbits. With that in mind, there is one rule that I have tried to keep in my rabbit dealings and that is to treat my sellers and buyers as I would like to be treated as a seller or buyer. I try to be sure to honor them.

As with everyone starting out, all the rabbits I first acquired came from other breeders. Some people do not show rabbits that they bought from another breeder but I did because I hoped that my buyers would show rabbits bought from me, assuming that one day I would have some worth selling. In my first year showing, I only had my purchased rabbits to show and some earned Grand Champion certificates! Whenever I posted about their wins or anything else about a rabbit I owned but was bred by another, I made sure that the full name of the rabbit was used at least once in the post or article to give credit to the breeder and I often thanked the seller by name also.

Of course, I wanted to win with rabbits having my own rabbitry name and hoped to do so eventually but I knew that I would not ever be able to do that if I had not bought those starter rabbits from other breeders. Also, I want to treat my sellers the way I would like to be treated so it took some time before I had rabbits that I felt were worthy to sell to other breeders. However, originally the parent of every Tale of Tails rabbit was from another breeder to whom I was thankful and gave credit. 

My thoughts were that I would treat every seller the way I would like to be treated as a seller. I did not expect every buyer to stay in touch, but I appreciate it when they do. I do not expect other breeders to give credit to the seller/breeder of their purchased rabbits, but it is noticed whether they do or not, especially when it is written for public viewing. Maybe it is not important to some whether their buyers give them credit, but it has been my experience that everyone tends to want credit for the rabbit that is winning. 

I often say rabbits have no rules... and that is fine for rabbits, but that does not work as well between rabbit breeders. I have found that the best practice is to honor the breeder of your rabbits so that you are more likely to be honored as the breeder of a rabbit you sold.