Skip to main content

Why Do We Show Rabbits?


As I am in the process of updating my rabbitry records and preparing for the 2023 National Silver Fox Show, I reflected on the progress of how one line from my first Silver Fox meat rabbit, who was far from show quality, progressed to grand champions: granddaughter and great-grandaughters and even great-geat-grandaughters and some bucks in there as well! I am also reviewing the past year and reflecting on my purpose of showing rabbits.

Why do we show rabbits? That is the question. The ideal answer:


Showing rabbits determines if we are improving 
the breed toward its standard of perfection.

If everyone had that single purpose in mind, things would go more smoothly in the rabbit-showing world. While judges' opinions differ on what is ideal and much also depends on the condition of the rabbits presented on any given day, over the course of several shows, the better rabbits will win more consistently. 

When I select my rabbits for a show, I am not thinking about whose rabbits will be there, what their rabbits look like, and how my rabbits might place against them. How can I possibly know how every rabbit being brought to any show is going to compare that day until we all are there? Instead, I am selecting my rabbits based on how they compare to the standard of perfection, their present condition, and how they have placed at shows against each other previously if they have been shown (which is the reason I keep lots of records). I select them with the mindset of showing against my own rabbits, not because I think my rabbits are the standard by which to judge all rabbits nor that my rabbits will be the only ones of consequence at the show nor with any assumption that what I consider my top rabbits will win at the show, but with the mindset that the rabbits in my own rabbitry are the only rabbits I have in front of me to judge against for myself. 

If we all had it in mind that the progression of the breed is the goal, then whoever wins at a show would not be an issue. However, the nature of competitions is that everyone wants to win and there are going to be more losing than winning. For larger and more important shows like specialties, nationals, and conventions, my goals have been that my rabbits place in the top five against the breeders having strong track records for winning. To me, that is an encouraging indication that my rabbits are an improvement to the breed whether my rabbit wins the show or not. Besides, at any show, there can be that one breeder who may not have been considered as competitive previously, and yet their rabbit just takes it that day!

I have this philosophy about expectations, only your own expectations set you up for disappointment, not the fact you did not win the show and someone else did. If you have the expectation of winning, you will only be happy if you win. I do have some expectations when I show my rabbits but also I have had my best-performing rabbits tossed off the table first or second more than once. My expectations are not based on any one show, even if it is a national or convention. Do I want to win those shows? Yes, of course, I do. However, I would rather see who has the rabbits that are closer to that standard of perfection because, for me, it is about improving the breed...and, yes, I can admit that I hope my rabbits are that! 

Progress is far more important than the win, but the win does prove the progress one has made to improve the breed and for that, there is the recognition of the win. I also learned that if you want to be recognized for improving the breed by winning at shows, then do not resent the ones who are winning now—most likely you will want their help to get there. I am very thankful for the breeders who sold me rabbits that helped improved the rabbits I have produced in my rabbitry and likewise I have been very thankful that I have had some rabbits that have proven themselves in other rabbitries to have been beneficial in their breeding programs.