Skip to main content

Hidden Message in a Rabbit Show Win

God is in everything, even in a rabbit show, and He talks to us in many ways. We attended a double Silver Fox specialty show last weekend that was squeezed in between the rush of birthdays, college graduation, and a piano recital. The first item on the show day was an opening prayer and I loved that God was honored first among friends!

I also loved the message God gave to us all. It was hidden but God wanted it to be revealed. For the last few years, I have been led to give my rabbits names that have spiritual meanings and to honor my Lord. When I walk in my rabbitry and say their names it is like giving blessings over my rabbitry as well as the rabbit, but my Lord brought it to my attention that He also gave a blessing to us at the show.

Selichah is a junior doe who just finished filling in her coat so this show was her first. When I assessed her for show potential, I thought she was not only the sweetest doe I have had but the best doe we had produced out of our rabbitry, although I was so taken by her sweetness I was not sure if it was making me see more in her than there was. God had told me to give her a name meaning "forgive" and I found some names that were for "forgiveness" but they just did not seem to be right. Then I looked up the Hebrew word "forgive" and found that there are three with distinctions so I prayed about which to use. Although "selichah" is often referred to as "forgiveness," it also has a verb form "to forgive." Selichah is personal forgiveness or the act of forgiving on a personal level. I like to think of forgiving as an ongoing activity in our earthly existence because God's forgiveness covers all time.

I had another junior doe named Chessa who had developed faster than her siblings with a nicely finished coat. I had entered her as an intermediate because she was well over eight pounds at only four months old. Her name means "peace" in Slavic.

Selichah (forgiveness) won Best of Breed in both shows and Best of Best. Then there was the fur judging that comes after each show: Chessa (peace) won Best of Fur in both shows.

The message God gave:

Peace follows forgiveness.

God did not just give this message once but repeated it, which means it was particularly important. This is a very timely message that I could not have caused to happen, only God could. I merely listened to Him in naming the rabbits He provided. I could not have known what He planned and the message He wanted to give us. Some of you may know of a situation that had progressed from an interpersonal issue to involving a club board and members with several misunderstandings gathered along the way. In the last few months, God has revealed much to us all and I have always said that at every show at least one person (usually more than one) does or says something that either bends or breaks the rules or unintentionally offends someone personally because not even one of us is perfect—every show someone does or says something! We have a choice to forgive or keep holding grudges, but one is followed by peace and the other is not.

Thank you, Abba, for this amazing win and Your message to us!





I have to say that all during the show my husband kept saying he wanted that belt buckle.
God was VERY good to us that day as He is EVERY day!