Skip to main content

Cherished Moments

When my husband and I decided to enter the inaugural show of Southeastern Bunny and Cavy Shows (SEBACS) and donated the double sanctions, I was hoping there would be other Silver Fox breeders who would attend but it turned out we were the only ones—just one exhibitor with five rabbits: one buck in a significant molt (but less than the others I left at home), two intermediate sibling does, and two junior sibling does. In most cases, I might have passed up on the show. It was the wrong time of year to show a fur breed, but fur would be an issue with most of the breeds as we had been in the hottest part of the summer. There would be no available legs for Silver Foxes, not even for the assured title of Best of Breed since I was the only exhibitor, but I was not thinking about winning as much as supporting the new club, getting comments on the does, talking with friends, and just having fun. 

It was a smaller show but the judges were some of the best and there were some top breeders also. There was plenty of downtime for me between shows so I had the opportunity to share knowledge with these two young ladies as I always find I learn from youth as much as I teach them. It reminded me of the days I was assisting with my daughter's 4-H club and the years that my husband and I both were youth leaders and Sunday School teachers for teens in churches. So, it was delightful to watch them feel the fur and experience the sweet personalities of a couple of my Silver Fox rabbits. Thank you both! (Their mothers were kind in giving us permission to take this photo and use it.)


I think this will be one of the memories I will always cherish...but God had a few other surprises for me that day also!

My same intermediate doe won Best of Breed (BOB) and my only buck won Best Opposite Sex of Breed in both shows, although the comments on the intermediate sisters were close to the same. I had gotten what I wanted to know about them and we had not planned to stay for the Best In Show (BIS) judging originally, but one of the judges convinced us the BOB doe was worth placing on the Best In Show table so we stayed.

I was very pleased that the doe earned an honorable mention in the first BIS show because it was not just that she was the best presenting Silver Fox there, but she was also worth the mention of all the breeds on the table and some top breeders were there! I was thrilled to hear that even though it would not be anything on record.
 
Then God surprised me even more—in the second show for Best In Show, I watched the judge and was sure that he was not even thinking the Silver Fox was worth a second look so I was completely awestruck when I heard him award Tale of Tails Chaya with my first Best in Show! That was such a surprise and a wonderful blessing! The comment I heard was a New Zealand body with Silver Fox fur. 


I did not think I would see one of my own Georgia-bred and outside-raised Silver Foxes win Best in Show, and in the heat and humidity of August, no less! That has to be a God-thing! Thank you, Abba.