Skip to main content

When Visiting Another Rabbitry



This is just a reminder that breeders need to be respectful when visiting another breeder's place. I write this because I have heard many stories from breeders over the years, who regretted allowing some people near their home and rabbitry. Some were stories of breeders with atrocious manners, some acting with entitlement, and some were just a bit irritating in being disrespectful. To be honest, I have had to bite my tongue several times when looking at dirty cages or cages that looked too small for the rabbits. However, I did not have what I would describe as an abrasive entitlement experience...until I did.

Some time back, someone needed her juniors to be transported so she came to my place to drop them off. After they were placed in my garage, I thought she would be leaving but instead, she walked out toward my rabbitry. There was no asking me if she could and there was no reason that she should as I did not invite her to do so, yet she proceeded. Since I was doing this as a favor for a friend, I did not want to cause a problem so I just let it happen against my better judgment. While in my rabbitry, she walked through it almost like she was shopping for a rabbit or taking mental notes. Then she mentioned how she preferred the lighter silvering (too light of silvering) on one young buck adding that she thought all my rabbits were too heavily silvered. I had not asked for that opinion but also I knew that was an incorrect assessment of the rabbits in my rabbitry at that time as most of them were in the medium range for silvering. 

I want to express this, particularly to new breeders who may not feel comfortable or feel like they know what is acceptable protocol, especially when they need help and are learning: No one is entitled to go into your rabbitry because they want to and/or they have been there before and/or because they have done favors for you. 

Unless I was asked to help with a rabbitry while the owner was away or needed help, which is strictly caring for the rabbits, I have never just walked into another rabbitry without an invitation and I certainly have not given opinions on the qualities of the rabbits unless specifically asked. This is because I see my rabbitry as my sanctuary, so much so that I praise my Lord, sing, and pray there. So when I think of another person's rabbitry, I want to give them and their rabbitry the respect I would like for others to give me and mine.