Skip to main content

The Blessing of Chaya

Just recently, in a conversation with a friend, I confessed that for most of my life, I hid my Christianity in the closet, so to speak: no stickers on my car, no jewelry other than a cross necklace once in a while, and I even toned down my talking of God so that I would not draw attention to my beliefs or offend anyone. Perhaps it was not so much to avoid offending anyone who had unresolved issues with God, but mostly, I did not want anyone to judge God by me. Then I heard God say to me: "But then you are not honoring Me."

It was very convicting.

In my heart, I believe that God should be honored in all my endeavors, including my rabbitry, and He is, but now I do not keep that a secret or tone it down. I wanted to share this for you to understand I try not to just honor God by praising Him for the good things that happen but asking for His guidance and following what He asks of me to do...and some of those things do not seem to make any sense by the world's standards, like giving away the best Silver Fox rabbit you have ever produced.

I wrote about Chaya winning my first Best in Show in "Cherished Moments," dated August 13, 2023. There was another show about two weeks before the ARBA Convention that I had not yet written about in which Chaya won her first Reserve in Show and her second Best in Show...and then Best of Best. I was so awe-struck I forgot to get pictures taken! So many people and judges remarked that she was the best Silver Fox rabbit they had ever seen. She certainly is the best rabbit I have ever had in my rabbitry.

The secret I have been keeping is that Chaya was not to be my blessing. In my heart, all this time, even before I had shown her, she belonged to a friend: Monica Tucker. I met Monica over a year ago at a show where she had brought a few Silver Foxes with which to start. Monica was new to the Silver Fox breed but not new to rabbits or showing, and she is considered one of the top English Lop breeders. The Silver Foxes she had then were not good combinations to start her breeding program, and she wisely exchanged and culled out some of them over the following months. I had nothing to offer at the time, nor would I have for far longer than I hoped, but I talked to God about what I wanted for Monica: a rabbit that would win on the tables and help with her breeding program. So, I told her about Chaya being her rabbit before I had shown her. Usually, I prayerfully select names that are to be a blessing for the new owner, and for Monica, her blessing was to be "life" but on a grander scale, like abundant and overflowing life, and "Chaya" is a Hebrew name meaning that. As I have gotten to know Monica, I realized why God chose it: All of her life, she has fought for life, to keep others alive, to protect lives, and to enjoy "life."

Monica would have graciously let me back out of my promise after the first Best in Show because we all know that most people would want to do the same, but my promise was not with her, it was with God. (How does one back out of a promise with God?) I have been blessed by Him, and I never want to lose His blessing, so I was very excited that Chaya was showing so well for her! There is much more to the back story about how all this came about, but Monica took Chaya home with her after the Convention and had her registered so that she would be a Grand Champion with the legs she had already earned.

Was it difficult to give away the best rabbit I had ever seen in my rabbitry? Yes... and no. I am human, and as happy as I was to take part in this blessing God had given Monica, I still had those human moments. When I talked to God about my feelings, He asked me two questions: 


My Lord: "What did you ask for?" 

Me: "I asked for a rabbit for Monica that would win on the tables and... Okay, God, You definitely did that!" (...so I also believed that Chaya would be an asset to her breeding program!)

Selah... (pause)

Me: "But my BEST rabbit, Lord?" 

My Lord: "If I did it once, do you not think I can do it again?"

Me: "Yes, Lord! Yes, You can!" (No hesitation or doubt in my mind or heart at all!)


And so, I will be keeping watch with expectancy in my rabbitry because there will be another. 

I will end with this: Some time back, a breeder of a small, cute rabbit breed and I were having a conversation, and she looked so disappointed at that moment, saying that she apparently was not a good breeder. I immediately asked her: "How are you at praying?" 


Honor God in all things, 

so that His blessings flow throughout your life in all things!