Skip to main content

Combined Breeding Takes RIS

Some months ago, I was offered a breeding with Waldrop Acres Rabbitry Ashur, half-brother on the dam's side to Karen Waldrop's 2023 National Silver Fox Show winner. My Atarah is getting to that age when her kindles would tend to be smaller, but I chose her because she has a record of producing good buns with different bucks. Out of the breeding, I got two does. 

This past weekend was their first show and I thought they were still a bit too undeveloped, so I was mostly hoping for comments and for them to get some show experience. The judges for this two-day show varied widely in placements but, to my surprise, both those little does managed to get their first legs as first-of-class junior does.

I was also very excited about another friend when she had three rabbits who won their classes and were on the table at the same time for the Best of Breed judging. She won both Best of Breed and Best of Opposite Sex of Breed in Show B. (She had brought some offspring to show from my Yanish's son, but I do not remember if any of them were title winners.) 

For me, the title wins came on Sunday in Show C, when Waldrop Acres Rabbitry Ashur took first in senior bucks and his daughter took first in junior does for her second leg. Then Karen and I watched our little combined breeding take Best of Breed as a junior!  




This picture is her with her father, Ashur, turning toward her as if to say he is proud of her too. 

But God had something more in mind with that little doe. The same judge was chosen as the Best in Show judge and, saying that he really liked her, he awarded her Reserve in Show too! 



Thank you, Karen, for the opportunity to add such wonderful genetics to my rabbitry. I am looking forward to seeing how both does develop.