Skip to main content

Canyon Kindled XCY-3

Canyon kindled my first purebred Silver Fox kindle in a couple of years!

I found Canyon in the nesting box after I went to check on her. I thought she might be kindling, but when she emerged from the nest it still looked empty and she was still pulling fur, so I did not feel around in the nest. However, she might have kindled then, because when I checked the nest about an hour later, it still looked flat, but I felt one and then two and then three...and only three. All are black even though the sire carried blue and the dam is blue.

Of course, I was hoping for 6-9, but she was not receptive to either buck to which we introduced her, so her breeding was assisted. Typically, assisted breedings result in smaller kindles, because even though does are induced ovulators, they do have cycles and apparently we caught Canyon on the off side of that cycle. However, I wanted to see her for myself before I committed to buying her, so that is just how it worked out.

I was not surprised that Canyon is a good mother, because Beth at Silver Lox is not one who would pass a bad rabbit on to someone else. She has a good character, a good reputation, and my respect.

The advantage of only three in a kindle is that they all will get plenty of nourishment and grow out fast. I am hoping to keep at least one doe from this kindle...maybe even a buck. Black is the only showable color in Silver Foxes presently, so that part is good.

Silver Lox sent me the pedigree of the sire this week. He has two Grand Champions in his line, so hopefully I will be working toward show quality in my herd. A rabbit keeper can dream....



I love kindling days!