Skip to main content

Thinking Out Summer Culls

I want and actually need to thin down the herd to make room for the grow outs and to reduce feed costs, so I am going down my list, bucks first and then the does. When we were breeding only for meat, our biggest concern was about health, good mamas, and fast grow outs. We were not interested in showing and Standard of Perfection, but that changed. While we have finally made the transition to Silver Fox only, we have chosen to now work toward show quality, so we need to cull with that in mind. I plan on keeping Canyon's three, two does and one buck, or maybe swap one doe for another. (I have yet to name them.)



The Bucks
I did an evaluation of my two senior bucks yesterday and it really set in how badly I did need a new buck with show quality type. I am so glad I decided to buy one. I had planned to keep one of the two I had and cull the other, but now I am leaning towards keeping neither one. However, I want to see how their kindles turn out before I make a final decision. Both of them have the best temperaments—so wouldn't it figure that this time I got a new buck that has great type, but needs work on his temperament.

Comet
I thought Comet was more typy than he is, but during this evaluation, I realized if he was being offered, I would not buy him, which makes it very hard to sell him too. At seven pounds, Comet's biggest flaw is his size, but that would also be a no-buy for meat breeders looking for size and fast grow out. I love his evenly silvered fur and he is just slightly undercut, but he has narrow hips and a flat top line. Comet's temperament...well, I have always called him my teddy bear; he is just that sweet. Of all my rabbits, I would consider him pet quality because of his smaller size and temperament, but I do not sell my rabbits as pets. I bred him with Black Ivy, who does have a nicer top line, but also is narrow. I am curious how that will play out with their kits, but since both are on the small side...I am still thinking Comet will need to go.

Lancelot
He is the larger of the two and weighed in 11 ounces under the minimum weight. He also has a flat top line and is narrow. His coat is too lightly silvered and heavier in patches. He is also very agreeable to handling once he is secure. I am thinking of offering him for sale as a meat breeder only, but his kindle with Misty Blue is only 4 weeks old, so I am waiting to see how that worked out. However, I am pretty set on him going also.

Fall Breeding Bucks
Starry Knight

Breeding Buck Hopefuls (so far)
XCY3 



The Does
I have two does that I was planning to cull after their kindles are weaned, but I added Denim to that list, also. I may have more does to add to my winter breeding list, depending on how my present kindles grow out.

Black Ivy
I have called Black Ivy "the Expensive Meal", but to get compensated for some of money and time we spent on her with sore hocks and being so cow hocked, we decided to breed her at least once. I had my concerns about Black Ivy navigating the drop nest box with her kits in it, but she has proven to be a great mama and has somehow avoided hurting them when she goes in the nest to nurse them. We have decide to see how the kits turn out before making the final decision to cull her. I am hoping that her cow hocks and narrowness are just a fluke in her genetic makeup and overridden by the buck with whom I breed her. She has a nice top line and the buck I bred her with, Comet, does not. It is a gamble, but the worst that could happen is I have meat rabbits and she will be culled as planned. Still, I am hoping to see that one kit that genetically has the best of both parents, but I am not expecting it....just hoping. 

Denim
When we purchased Denim, it was not in our minds to show. She had a thick, almost woolly texture of fur that mostly molted out. I thought she was adorable. Denim, however, turned out to be less enamored with me. In fact, she is the only Silver Fox rabbit I have ever seen in my rabbitry that has tried to attack me every time I placed my gloved hand in her cage. She was very fearful about anything coming into her cage when she was younger; as she grew older, she decided to take the offense. I have not evaluated her type yet, but her temperament puts her on the cull list. I will be holding her over the summer and she will be the first one bred in the fall. I am hoping that motherhood will calm her down as I have seen it do with other does. After that I will evaluate her and consider whether to cull or not. I would not sell her with her present temperament.

Misty Blue
This one is the hardest for me. I think I could get a few more kindles out of her in the fall, but they likely would be small kindles, as she would be approaching five years old. She did not lose condition with her last kindle, but she only had three. I know it is time, after her present kindle is weaned, but it is difficult to say good-bye to the one that made me fall in love with the Silver Fox breed. I still remember the first time I held her when she was just eight weeks old.

Fall Breeding Does
Denim, for at least one kindle.
Canyon
Twilight, ready in November.

Breeding Doe Hopefuls (so far)
XCY2, ready in December
XCY1, maybe, ready in December