Skip to main content

A Little Nosey?

The first day I weighed the XCY-3 kindle, I examined each kit as I usually do: ears, eyes, nose, mouth, legs, paws, genitals, and so on. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. The very next day, however....




XCY2, the largest of the kindle, had an obvious abscess.

I looked back at the weighing day pictures and could see a little possible swelling, or maybe I just thought I should. 




It could have been an insect bite or sting or just irritation from who knows what. I was going to open it up the next day, but I found the abscess had opened on its own and she had white drainage on areas of her face so I wiped her down with a free and clear baby wipe and took a good look at the nose. It looked already cleaned out and ready to heal so I let it.




It had scabbed over but I gently moistened it and lifted part of the scab to allow it to drain if it needed to do so, but it did not. 




I kept taking pictures to be sure it was healing well and prayed for no white hairs as I was thinking she would be for show. 




The fur began to fill in and I was relieved to see no white hairs!




This is the last picture and since I am writing this post days later, now the nose looks absolutely normal.




Unfortunately, this XCY2 also caught the dew claw on her right front paw and either broke the toe or just tore the nail badly. That also abscessed understandably and she lost the nail, which is a disqualification, so she is definitely not showable now.

I am a bit bummed about that, but happy she is healthy and has a strong immune system.