Skip to main content

Summing Up the Latest Shows



I just received my show reports for Shows B and C from the Northwest Georgia Cavy and Rabbit Club, so I now have all five show reports in front of me to analyze from the Dalton shows held on March 6-7, 2021. If you read the previous post I did know the outcome for some of my rabbits in the NSFRC National and the GSFRB Specialty Shows, but Shows B and C ran at the same time and I was talking with buyers, so I did not write down my placements at all for any of the shows and I just gave up for the rest.  

Now I have the chance to fill in all the blanks—Well, actually, the entire page of my show journal as it was all blank except for rabbit names!

In the order of class and ages...


Senior Bucks

GC Carrot Garden's Astro Man - He has been my biggest and most consistent prizewinner until his son Yanish hit the show scene and now that they are both in the senior class, it seems Yanish is a contender for the Tale of Tails Top Buck Throne, although not every judge there saw it that way. Still, Astro ranged from 2nd to 4th in four of the five shows taking a higher ranking than Yanish in two of the shows. For the NSFRC National, he was 4th of 25, and for the GSFRB Specialty, he was 2nd of 20, just under his son. The shows where Astro ranked higher than Yanish were Show C with 2nd of 20 and Meat Lovers with 3rd of 18.

GC High Rock's Starry Knight - This buck won BOB at his very first show in the fall of 2018 and that hooked me well into showing. He more recently took Best of Seniors in the 2020 GSFRB Fall Specialty but did not impress the judges as much in these shows. His best was 7th of 25 in the NSFRC National and 5th of 31 in Fur for that same show.

GC Tale of Tails Kieran - My first grand champion of my own breeding did not impress the judges much but in Show B, when Astro Man and Starry Knight were not given a placing, he was 8th of 20. He also was in the top ten for the NSFRC National Show for an 8th of 25 and 9th of 31 in fur.

GC Tale of Tails Yanish - Although he was kind of my star at this show, he missed being in the top five for two of them taking 6th of 20 for Show C and 8th of 18 for Meat Lovers, but in the other three shows, he was in first place for senior bucks: NSFRC National - 1st of 25 and BOB; Show B - 1st of 20 and BOB; and GSFRB Specialty - 1st of 20 and BOB as well as 1st of 17 in fur. (More on Yanish's wins here.


Senior Does

GC Funck's Zinfandel - My top doe with 17 legs may be coming to the end of her showing career as her condition is beginning to show her number of pregnancies, however, I also think she did not have long enough after weaning her last kindle to be in her best condition for these shows. Even so, she still put a sparkle in some judges' eyes against some of the younger senior does. Zinfandel placed in the top ten for the NSFRC National with 6th of 18. She took 7th of 14 in the GSFRB Specialty. Also, she was 2nd of 15 in Show C. I wonder how much better she would have done if she had just another week or so to regain her post-weaning condition.

GC Funck's Tiara - Although a newer acquisition, she is just a few months younger than Zinfandel. When she is in a good coat, she typically would place just under Zinfandel. At the first triple plus a Meat Lovers I showed her months ago without Zinfandel entered, she won 1st place in three shows for her first three legs. Before I showed her, she had not been shown at all. However, as I prepared for the Dalton shows, I was disappointed to see that Tiara had just blown her coat, particularly on her legs, and was still molting, so I was surprised that made the top five in two of the shows. In Show C, she won 4th of 15 and in Meat Lovers, 4th of 14.

GC Tale of Tails Inola - My sweet, loving clothing-nipper was the second rabbit I have bred that was granded. I was very pleased that she placed in the top five of three shows: Show C - 5th of 15; Meat Lovers - 3rd of 12; and NSFRB Specialty 2nd of 14. She placed higher with each show, oddly.  

GC Tale of Tails Tesha - This is my latest rabbit to be granded of my own breeding and she is also sweet and loving...and does not nip clothing. (She was about two weeks into her pregnancy during his show and her kits since born are doing fine.) She did not win any legs but she was in the top 5 for every show but one: NSFRC National - 3rd of 18; Show B - 5th of 16; Meat Lovers - 4th of 12; and GSFRB Specialty - 5th of 14. 


Intermediate Bucks

Tale of Tails Liraz - At the time of the shows, this buck out of Astro Man was still a junior, but Astro tends to throw fast growers. With his size and needing numbers in intermediates, I bumped Liraz up thinking he probably would not compete well in that class against the older rabbits that should be there, which is why it surprised me how well he did: NSFRC National - 2nd of 8; Show C - 1st of 6; and 1st of 5 along with Best of Intermediates in the GSFRB Specialty. Liraz is on his way towards becoming a grand champion with two legs.


Junior Does

Tale of Tails Jaleesa - This doe is from my first breeding with Yanish. I had my eye on her from the start and apparently, she is one to catch the eyes of some judges as well. She did quite well in three shows: Show B - 1st of 19; Meat Lovers - 1st of 7 and Best of Opposite Sex; GSFRB Specialty - 2nd of 9. Jaleesa now has two legs and needs only one more as an intermediate or senior to be granded.


Fur

This was a particular challenge to understand, but this is where judges range wildly especially with higher numbers, so it is always interesting.

NSFRC National - 31 rabbits: Starry Knight - 5th; Yanish - 7th; Kieran - 9th

GSFRB Specialty - 17 rabbits: Yanish - 1st; Astro Man - 2nd; Liraz - 3rd


I am quite thankful to my Lord, not only for these incredible wins but also to be able to offer rabbits with quality behind them and potential in front of them!