Skip to main content

Canyon Bred and Quarantined

I met with Hannah from Renaissance Farmstead on Thursday, a wet, rainy, and a bit windy morning. Beth at Silver Lox Rabbitry has quality Silver Foxes that have done well at shows. Hannah was buying a breeding pair with three legs and with another leg she would have a Grand Champion. I was there to buy a two-year-old, proven, Blue doe that cannot be shown simply because Blue is not an accepted Silver Fox color by the ARBA presently, but Beth had taken her for comments and they were good in the areas that some of my others are not as good.

I brought everything with me, except my rabbit binder with all my pedigrees, but I recognized several names on Canyon's pedigree from Black Ivy's pedigree. That was because Black Ivy's mother was from High Rock's lines, which is why I had been trying to find that breeder. When I got home and looked at both pedigrees, I realized that Canyon and Black Ivy not only share ancestry, but that Canyon is in fact Black Ivy's grandmother! Canyon definitely does not have a narrow frame so I am very excited about the prospects of breeding her. 

I was given the offer to breed her with one of her Grand Champion bucks, but Canyon was being difficult about it. Finally, we placed her in with another younger buck that also had good lines and was on his way earning legs. She will be sending his pedigree along to me so that I have it for the offsprings' pedigrees. I am hoping to save at least one doe from this breeding.

We had a wonderful time chatting away minutes as a weather front moved in. I learned some things and now I am thinking that I might like to show. If I look at it as learning and confirming that my rabbits are on track for what a Silver Fox should be, I think I will enjoy the process.

I was waiting for Canyon to accept the buck as Hannah decided to leave with her two, but by then it was pouring. The rain and the wind picked up. We were dry but Beth had just moved and her cages where not set up as she wanted yet. They were in a large carport. The carport had tarps all around to keep the rain from being blown in and lighting was low because of the cloudiness, but her rabbits where healthy and had that quality that I was hoping to see.

We finalized the sale while it was merely sprinkling after we saw two drop offs. I said good-bye to a new friend and started back on the hour drive home.

Canyon is a rather vocal rabbit and between the move Silver Lox had just made and then moving into my rabbitry, she was not particularly relaxed. I found one small pile of diarrhea on Friday morning, but regular stools as well. That was the only incident so I think it was just the stress.

Now we will start to get to know each other.