Skip to main content

Moving Day

I needed our kindling suite for Whoops this week but I wanted to give kindle BMB-5 a few extra days because it was cold and because one did not open its eyes until a day later than the rest. The drop nest is in a area of the cage surrounded by wood, so they are not used to light and they tend to stay in the nest longer than a conventional nesting box, I have noticed.

Moving Day was actually yesterday afternoon and I had to do it solo this time. First all of BMB-5 were placed on the side of the kindling suite with their mother and I slid the board that separates the compartments. I then placed the floor board to cover the nest. 

I rather not move a pregnant doe in the last few days of her pregnancy, but it had to be done. I was very careful with Whoops as I carried her from her cage to the nesting compartment of the kindling suite. She is a good doe, but she does not like being handled when pregnant, understandably.

Then I prepared a nesting box with fresh hay and placed it in Whoops' old cage. Each of BMB-5 were carried and placed into it. (By the way, my husband did cover the gap where BBG4 had squeezed through so these babies will not be making visits to see Golden Girl.)




Then I carried over Misty Blue to join her babies.

I opened the dividing board in the kindling suite and Whoops went out of the nesting compartment. I then closed the dividing board and removed the nest floor board so that I could remove all the soiled bedding and cardboard liner from the drop nesting box. I cut some cardboard to make a new bottom liner and filled the nesting box with straw. 

Then I opened the dividing board and Whoops began her inspection, while I finished up by exchanging the cage cards.



I also separated BGG1 from his sisters into his own cage. I try not to leave opposite sexes together past 12 weeks and they turned 12 weeks today.

All went well.