Skip to main content

The Little Chinchilla

I am resolved to breed Silver Foxes, but those sweet grayish-blue eyes peering out of that gorgeous silver-tipped fur on that little Chinchilla hybrid are making me think strange thoughts. Like, I wonder what a Chinchilla with the SF stand-up fur might look like.

Now that it is out where I can see it, there are three options:
  1. Ignore the recessive cchd Chinchilla that will not show with a dominate "C" on the C-locus. What is the likelihood that I would ever run into another Silver Fox with it?
  2. Eliminate the recessive cchd Chinchilla that should not be in the Silver Fox line by striving for "CC" in the C-locus.
  3. Use the cchd Chinchilla by breeding with a double recessive "cc" REW or at least a recessive "c" White carrier to possibly get another Chinchilla. In other words, work to develop it.
I was thinking if my Chinchilla is a doe, so I would either need a Silver Fox REW buck or a SF buck at least carrying a recessive "c" White, to possibly get another Chinchilla, but I have my doubts about any of my SF bucks being white carriers.

However, when I looked at that bunny today, I thought it looked more like a buck. Now if it is a buck, I do have a doe that is a White carrier, so I know it would be possible to get a Chinchilla from that breeding.

Then I wonder what gives the Silver Fox that stand-up fur quality and if the Agouti gene or some other in the Chinchilla's genes would prevent getting it. Because in my latest out crossings, I have only had two with SF fur, a REW and a Black. With a REW, there is no way to know what it is the genotype without test breeding and I no longer have that doe. With the Black, I do know if it is a Self Black or a Super Steel so basically that genotype is nearly as much as a mystery on the A- and E-loci as a REW.

This kind of thing could be a project to create a breed could take years to develop and I really do not have the space...yet. But, I have the Chinchilla gene in a SF and her offspring right now so is it an opportunity or a distraction...what to do?